facebook ads is an important way to connect with your audience on the world’s largest social network. it is great for your budget, conversion rates, and roi (return on investment). you only pay to reach the most potential customers.
facebook ads remain one of the most important components of social media marketing strategy. there’s a lot to figure out between formats, specifications, placements, objectives, and calls-to-action. therefore, it is important to understand the different facebook ad types and targeting options before you dive in if you want to get the best results.
10 Facebook ad types you should know
1- Image ads
image is a great way to get start your facebook advertising. you can create one by boosting an existing post with an image from your facebook page. all ads on facebook are required to have an image, because images are powerful. they’re the first things people will see when engaging with your ads.
tips for image ads
- choose a compelling subject. arrangements, people, or displays are among the options recommended by facebook.
- make quality a priority. no blurry, over or under exposed photos, and upload at the highest resolution possible.
- try to use little or no image text when possible. facebook has found that images with less than 20 percent text perform better.
- use facebook’s image text check tool to make sure you’ve got a good text-to-visual ratio.
- avoid using too much text, especially in the thumbnail.
2- Video ads
video ads can run in news feed and stories. it can show your product in action. facebook research shows that people spend an average of five times longer with videos. video ads is the best at driving reach, engagement and conversions.
tips for facebook video ads
- use thumbnail images and titles that will grab attention.
- keep videos short and sweet. up to 47% of value in a video campaign is delivered in the first three seconds, versus 74% in the first 10 seconds.
- optimize for mobile.
- upload the highest resolution video available.
- make your videos accessible with captions. captions can increase video view time.
- create for sound off. most video ads in the mobile feed are played on mute.
3- Facebook slideshow ads
Slideshow ads bring the best of images and videos together. there are two reasons you may choose a facebook slideshow ad. first, if you’re on a tight timeline or budget, this format allows you to add eye-catching motion to multiple images. you can upload original photos, or select from facebook’s stock image library. second, if your audience locate somewhere with poor connection speeds, slideshows are a great alternative to video. you can simply upload it and select the stills you would like to use in slideshow format.
4- Facebook carousel ads
if you want to showcase a range of products or tell a story in parts, the carousel ad format may be the best fit. in this format, you can upload between two and 10 images or videos that users can swipe through. carousel ads can appear in the mobile and desktop news feeds on facebook and instagram. they can be created from a page, event, and the ads manager. find step-by-step instructions on . how to create carousel ads here.
tips for carousel ads
- take advantage of the format. use each slide to showcase a range, a series, or develop a narrative.
- use images that complement each other. don’t choose visuals that clash aesthetically or tell an incoherent brand story.
- show your best-performing carousel cards first—when it makes sense. if you’re using the format to tell a story, it’s best to keep them in order.
- be creative. target used a facebook carousel ad to share a recipe idea for every day of the week.
- consider spreading a single long image across a carousel ad. if you’re trying to communicate something mysterious, panoramic, or epic in scope, this can have a cool reinforcing effect. here’s how to make one.
- check out facebook carousel’s creative examples page for inspiration.
5- Facebook collection ads
this ad format is ideal for online retailers hoping to convert interest into immediate sales. collection ads are the attention-grabbing news feed. it allows you to combine video, slideshow or images. it is designed to improve traffic, conversions, and sales for your business. most collection ad will feature a hero image or video alongside itemized product shots. when someone clicks on a collection ad, it will bring them to an immersive instant experience. to create a collection ad, follow this step-by-step guide. the different specifications for each template can be found here.
templates for collection ads include:
- storefront: when you have four or more products to showcase. you can use this template as a mobile landing page when you want to drive people to your website or app to make a purchase.
- lookbook: use the instant lookbook to tell a brand story, showcase your products, and inspire sales.
- customer acquisition: use this template when you have specific conversion goal, like visits to your website or other actions.
- storytelling: ideal for brand awareness and consideration objectives, use this template to tell your brand story to new customers. or, share a new story with pre-existing customers.
6- Facebook story ads
stories are full-screen images or videos that disappear after 24 hours . people may be familiar with instagram stories, but facebook stories are worth considering. more than half of the people who use stories across facebook, messenger, whatsapp, and instagram say that they are making more online purchases as a result.
in a recent study, facebook found that after seeing a product or service in stories:
- 56% browsed the brand’s website to get more information
- 50% looked for the product or services on websites that sell it
- 38% talked to someone about the product or service
- 34% visited a store to check out the product or service
7- Facebook messenger ads
Facebook messenger is the top mobile app. these messenger ads appear in a user’s inbox, and can be formatted as an image, carousel, and video. according to facebook, the best way to setup messenger ads is to use automatic placements. it send ads to the place most likely to have the best results at the lowest cost. these ads put people into direct conversation with your business. you can also send sponsored messages to customers your business has already spoken with on messenger. these will appear in the conversation thread of their inbox like any other message.
click here to learn how to setup messenger ads.
8- Facebook lead ads
we use lead ads such as newsletter subscriptions, quote requests, or event registration or a variety of customer. this is where you can tell people about your business, your offer, and explain why they should share their information with you. contact information is pre-populated, which makes it easier for people to sign up and leads to minimal drop-off. custom questions can also be added to learn more about your audience. facebook lead ads can be created from your page or from ads manager. learn how to create one here.
facebook lead ad tips
- keep it brief. long forms lead to lower conversion rates.
- avoid open-ended questions. these questions are harder and take longer to answer, leading to more drop off. use multiple choice.
- don’t provide too many choices. for multiple-choice questions, stick to around three to four options.
- say thanks. add a custom “thank you” to show your appreciation.
9- Facebook dynamic ads
dynamic ads allow marketers to promote products from any catalog to people who have shown interest on your website, in your app, or other web. dynamic ads can be created in the image, carousel, or collection ad format. the key difference is that instead of creating individual ads for each product, dynamic ads allow you to create a template that automatically pulls images and information from your catalog. so, if a website visitor looked at a pair of shoes on your website, the dynamic ad will re-target them with the same information without you having to upload images and copy.
10- Facebook link ads
link ads have one clear goal: to get people to visit your website. every component of the link ad is clickable, so butterfingers or mouse slippages are not an issue. this may be why businesses using link ads on facebook have seen a 53 percent roi.
facebook link ad tips
- choose a winning image. high quality, vibrant, clear photos always perform best.
- prompt with crisp copy. a sharp headline and descriptive text will help inspire clicks.
- include a cta button. choose from: shop now, learn more, sign up, book now and download.
- describe the destination. tell your customers where their click will take them, that way they click with purpose.